Who is Jesus Christ?
Who is Jesus? Rebellious rabbi? Good teacher? Prophet? Misguided zealot?
- I am the way, and the truth and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me. – John 14:6
- In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (John 1:1)
- Christ is the visible image of the invisible God. He existed before anything was created and is supreme over all creation. (Colossians 1:15)
- And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God. (John 20:28)
- Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am. (John 8:58)
- That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; (Philippians 2:10)
- I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty. (Revelation 1:8)
God’s eternal Word was made flesh, born as Yeshua ben Yosef (Jesus, son of Joseph) and preached the Way of God through Him to the Jews and Gentiles across Galilee and Judea.
During that time He made disciples who were to fulfill the Great Commission which was to spread His message to the ends of the earth, making new disciples of all who would listen. He was then betrayed by one of His men, captured, mocked, tried, beaten and ultimately crucified where He finally gave up His spirit and the part of the God-Man Jesus that was human died. The ultimate, permanent atoning sacrifice for sin. The only One who could.
His body was hurriedly placed in a tomb before the Passover celebration. His spirit descended into the grave (Sheol to the Jews, Hades to the Greeks) where He preached to the lost and faithful together, parading out of hell many souls towards Heaven. His spirit then rejoined His fleshly body and it was miraculously healed, made perfect, as He triumphed over death and sin’s power to separate men from God forever. Death had been defeated, the Way to be with God forever was opened.
For forty days after His resurrection, Jesus taught His disciples and showed His raised glory to hundreds of followers. After which, He ascended into Heaven and now sits at the right hand of the Father, patiently waiting for the time to come back again, this time as the King of Kings, Lord of Lords, Master of the universe. Ruler of all.